If you follow me on Twitter you’ll know I’m leaving for a month-long trip this weekend. Bear and I will be spending about four weeks in various parts of Japan and one week in South Korea, where we’ll be meeting Tara! She’s been incredible enough to draw up a detailed itinerary for us, and she made sure to include time for Korean skincare shopping. I can’t wait!
You’ll notice my last blog post before this one was exactly six months ago in December. This is just proof of how bad I am at managing my time and prioritizing things. So with this I’m just going to condense down points of interest that have happened in this last half year using bullet points, because nobody wants to read a novel.
- I got hit by a car. And I don’t mean as a pedestrian, before anyone starts to worry. It was a near T-bone on the driver’s side–the other driver ran a red light and I was unfortunate enough to be right there. I would have been severely injured if I hadn’t put my foot on the gas at the last moment to try and get a bit more out of her way. I was mostly angry about the damage to Roa (as you’ll recall, that’s the name of my Venza) and that I had to drive a Chevy Impala rental car while Roa was undergoing repairs.
- I put decals on Roa. I only had one on, the Deathly Hallows symbol that my best friend bought for me, but I decided to get some FMA ones because who doesn’t like FMA? Now I’ve got the homunculus symbol where Roa was damaged (namesake fulfilled!) and Alphonse’s blood seal. I need to wash my car soon so that I can put on the Deadpool one that I bought.
- I visited Austin, Texas. Ryan’s high school friend and his wife live there, so we decided to visit them for a few days. I was a little bit wary at first because, well, Texas. But it was surprisingly lovely there! We really wanted to watch the bats swarm from the bridge but I was it wasn’t the season for that. At the very least we had some great food and drinks while there. They also taught me how to pick up their cat, who is the softest, sweetest little thing ever.
- I took the news of Alan Rickman’s death very poorly. I was absolutely devastated to hear. I was on the verge of tears for a bit over a week. My best friend was flabbergasted–“But you didn’t even KNOW him” was something she said a lot–but honestly, I feel that when someone famous who was a pretty big part of your life somehow passes it’s normal to feel this way. On the flip side, Bear’s devastation came with David Bowie’s death.
- I got published. Okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. It wasn’t anything official, just a little fan book that a fellow fan set up. They handled everything! A short fic I wrote was accepted, so I’m proud to have been part of it. Actor Rob Kazinsky (one of my favorites!) even responded to a Tweet!
- I canceled my subscription to Ipsy. I didn’t want to spend the money on it anymore, plus I wasn’t happy to get a lot of what I got. I’ve also decided I won’t bother reviewing the last few months either. There’s really no point.
- My brother graduated with his master’s degree. I’m so proud of him! He put me in his guest bedroom, though, and there was a door leading to a crawlspace there. I had to sleep with a light on the whole time I was there.
- I got serious about losing weight and getting healthier. My best friend’s new job offers her free membership to LA Fitness, so she convinced me to buy a membership to work out with her. We ended up getting roped in signing with a personal trainer there and our first workout with him happened a few days ago. We’re in so much pain right now that we can barely walk. At least our trainer is a cutie.
- I fell into some new fandoms, the first of which is Preacher. If you know me, you’ll know I’m fandom trash. When I like something, I go in hard. That’s what happened with Preacher, a TV series based on the comic books with the same name. The comics are very dark and gritty (which I know from Google and Bear, not from reading them), and the show is pretty damn dark. My favorite character is Cassidy the Irish vampire, even though he’s pretty terrible, so I’m very much in love with the actor who plays him now. Joseph Gilgun is fabulous and very handsome as a person he seems incredibly laid-back and funny. And who could say no to Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga?
- The second new fandom is Warcraft. Admittedly I have never played WoW and am not familiar with the lore, and the only reason I wanted to watch it was because Rob Kazinsky was in it. Bear got me into Hearthstone a week ago, which is semi-related to Warcraft, so now I can’t stop. I went into the film expecting to love Orgrim Doomhammer (Rob’s character) but I came out loving Khadgar (played by Ben Schnetzer) instead. The whole movie made me wish I had been able to play WoW when I was younger, although perhaps not to the level of Rob Kazinsky. Bear still plays WoW, so the day we went to watch the movie it was funny: people would ask what we were doing, he would tell them, and they would laugh thinking I was getting dragged to it. They were all so shocked that I wanted to go more than Bear!
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood! I wanted to go the day it opened, but couldn’t find anyone to go with me. I went this past Monday with my brother, who was ever so patient as I raced from shop to shop squealing about everything, from owls to hippogriffs to robes to Chocolate Frogs! Truth be told, I very nearly burst into tears just being there. Harry Potter has been a huge part of my life and is undeniably my original fandom, so I’m not even embarrassed.
- Last but not least, Bear and I celebrated our 7th anniversary together. 7 years!
Well, that’s about it. I promise I will try to keep up with blogging once I get back from my trip!